Thursday, February 26, 2015

Kanye West Performs New Song "All Day"

Kanye West performed his newest song titled "All Day" at the Brit Awards 2015, just over the pond at the 02 Arena in London, this past Wednesday, where his wife Kim Kardashian made the audience get on their feet to receive the new Yeezus tunes. 

When the beat dropped and I saw the flash mob of people on the stage immediately I thought to myself, "Oh yea, Kanye about to bring us back to what we've been missing!" 

However, after listening for a brief moment, I quickly understood that this wasn't the Kanye music I came to know and bond with, this was something different -- something that didn't seem like it took a while to put together. The lyrics weren't in story form but were random lines tossed out into the crowd that usually ended with the n-word being used -- repeatedly. I just didn't comprehend the meaning of the song other than the fact that it was attached to an amazing beat.

The "College Dropout" Kanye use to tell us stories and the stories often had a beginning, a middle, and an end -- coupled with a taste of a vintage remix sample that he threw additional dope beats too. 

It's what made me fall in love with Hip Hop to begin with; the fact that Hip Hop told a story and gave a meaning to a situation that allowed you to slow groove or fast groove to the heart pounding rhythms -- mastered by some of the hottest producers.

Don't get me wrong, I understand artists evolve and that everything can't always stay the same, but Kanye's latest artistry makes me wonder if he's really putting as much effort into his work like he use to, is he over-thinking his work too much, or simply cutting corners on purpose because he feels like he's "built" his brand up enough that we his fans should just accept whatever he throws at us?

Well, I've never been the type of person to just accept anything just because -- it isn't my style, and as much as I want to continue walking in the Yeezus light...I find myself drifting further and further away. 

BRING ME BACK TO THE LIGHT YEEZUS! BRING-ME-BACK-TO-THE-LIGHT!

2015 LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I appreciate you!