Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Tina Knowles' Personal Story

Getting to know the mother figure behind super power singer Beyonce, was just as delightful as listening to her daughter talk about her own life. 

Following Destiny's Child from its conception; the only thing I knew about Tina Knowles is that she's the master mind behind the groups fabulous outfits, she owned her own beauty salon, she could fry a mean Cajun turkey and cook up a "slap ya mama" gumbo! 
Outside of that her private life was just that -- private, until her very public divorce in 2011, from ex-husband Matthew Knowles.

Furthermore, I related so much to her story because it has been the stories of women in my own family; growing up poor, trying to find your own voice while others dictate to you how "they" want you to be, empowering women through beauty as my grandmother was also a beauty shop owner -- and on many days when I'd come to get my free hair-do, I'd sit and listen to the women chat, laugh, debate and create a one-of-a-kind culture all their own. And of course the strong woman talk that often told me to always work hard so that I wouldn't have to depend on a man for anything; I didn't realize it back then but these women were molding a mini feminist, which I'm presently proud to wear the title.

If you learn nothing from Mama Knowles' speech -- know this; nothing worth while ever comes easy, hard work does pay off, sacrifices are inevitable and should be used as a tool to make one stronger, and as you walk through the storms of life always know that God is waiting for you on the other side to hand you something greater -- as you were being prepared to handle the challenges ahead.

After her speech I feel more inspired, empowered, and eager
to press on with life's unfolding discoveries as I keep my faith in knowing that I'll end up exactly where I'm supposed to be; thanks Mama Knowles. And this is the stock on which Beyonce and Solange came from? Their significant others are very lucky.

2014 LA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I appreciate you!